Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Crossword Craze

               14. Down: Animal that can’t fly. 16 Across: Capital of Wyoming. 32. Down: First U.S. President Crossword puzzles are the latest fad on Loyola’s campus. I constantly see students on the shuttle with the “Red Eye” folded to the crossword page.  Thank god they are only doing the crossword puzzle in that “newspaper.” But what is so fascinating about the crossword puzzle?

               Crossword puzzles consist of blank boxes with numbers in the corner of some of these boxes. You are given clues for numbers of the words that go horizontal as well as ones that go vertical. With these clues you have to guess the correct word. If you do not guess it correctly, in can really screw up the rest of the puzzle. You are probably wondering where crossword puzzles originated and who came up with such a weird concept, well then I’ve got news for you! 

            One fine day in December of 1913, Arthur Wynne, a game writer for the New York World, decided to change around the game “word squares.” He called it “word-cross” thought it would be challenging to use both “across” words and “down” words. A month after this game was published, the title of the game accidently got switched around to “cross-word” and it has stuck every since.

               Like other Loyola students, I have jumped on board the crossword puzzle train. I attempt to do the red-eye one every day but find it can be hard at times. I also found that I learn a lot of information from these cross word puzzles. They expand my vocabulary as well as help with my history and geological information.

 Go home and do a crossword puzzle, I promise you won’t regret it!

[Via http://meghanmcgovern.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment