Friday, September 25, 2009

Paintball and Respect for Our Military? What on earth is that about?

I spent about 3.5 to 4 hours playing paintball yesterday and all I can say is… WHAT A BLAST! I am bruised and aching from head to toe. We found out after the first four games we were playing that the paintballs we were using were bad. They wouldn’t bust so they were like rubber bullets and they hurt like crazy. Each solid hit left circular bruises about the size of a silver dollar. Even though it hurt really bad when that happened (I counted 21 welts; 5 left the big bruises) it was the most fun I’ve had in quite a while. However, as we were playing, I was had a revelation of sorts about our military personnel.

You see, I’ve always had a respect for the men and women of our armed forces. My grandfather was a Marine who fought and was injured in the second World War. My father was in the Air Force for almost 22 years. I have two nephews currently serving in Iraq and Afganistan and a cousin who has served for many years in the air national guard. One of my uncles has served for many years as well. I have always respected their service and the sacrifices they made for the rest of us. But yesterday, as I crouched behind a barrel under heavy fire from my “enemies”, I realized in the midst of the adrenaline and pain that this was just a game. I couldn’t even begin to imagine if those little rubber pellets were real bullets. I began to imagine what it must be like to be in a real war situation and to be under fire from real weapons and, although there is no comparison to what it must really be like, I gained a whole new appreciation for the soldiers out there every day in battle.

So as I go throughout my day today, I’m going to try to remember those serving in our armed forces today – under real fire from real weapons and will remember the sacrifices they have all made on our behalf. Whether or not you agree with any particular war or not, you have to appreciate the protection we get as a country from the men and women who serve to protect us every day. Thank you very much for your sacrifice and thank you for your service to our country!

No comments:

Post a Comment